Family Updates

Fourth of July Party Recipe Ideas: Appetizers, Dips, and More!

We have been lucky enough to see Independence Day fireworks in Chicago and at our wedding reception, but we have never celebrated at home... until this year! So I gathered up a few friends, recipes, and decorations for a get together last night! I wanted to share these with you, as they were all a big hit! Here is a sneak peek at my front entrance!

Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Cocktail Sausages
1 package cocktail sausages
1 lb. bacon
brown sugar

Heat oven to 325. Cut each bacon slice into thirds and toss in a bag of brown sugar.

Wrap one of the pieces of bacon (1/3 of a whole piece) around each sausage, and secure with a toothpick. A good tip when using toothpicks in the oven or wooden skewers on the grill is to soak them for a couple of minutes in water before use. This prevents them from burning or catching on fire!

Heat in oven for 40-50 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and sugar is bubbly. I turned the temp up 25 degrees for the last ten minutes. These are delicious and will go fast!

I found this recipe at My Busy Little Kitchen!

All American Summer Sour Cream Dip
16 ounces sour cream
1 packet Italian dressing dry mix
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Mix ingredients well, refrigerate for several hours. I served this with sliced cucumber, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and crackers.

Delicious Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
1 lb. Owen's or Jimmy Dean hot sausage
16 ounces cream cheese
2 cans Rotel

Brown sausage. Heat all ingredients over low in a large sauce pan or slow cooker until melty and hot. Serve with chips and salsa! I do not have a picture of the dip because it got eaten up right away!

Red White and Blue Strawberry Delights
1-2 pounds whole fresh strawberries
1 can cream cheese icing
blue sprinkles

Stem the strawberries, and then cut an X into the top of each one, leaving the base attached.

Using an icing tool of choice, fill the inside of the strawberry with icing and top with blue sprinkles!

I was able to grab some decorations on clearance and spruce up the house a bit. My favorite thing was the metal flags I found for about $1.50 each and made our walkway flower bed patriotic for guests coming to the front door! (See top picture)
I also got some decor that went great with my red front door!

I hope you all have a safe and happy Independence Day!
Tell me what you did, how you decorated, or what you ate!