Family Updates

Steve's Yummy Yellow Squash Casserole Recipe

I have really been trying to eat tons of veggies. At some point, my method of cooking becomes mundane and I seek out new ways to make summer vegetable taste delectable. My mother in law shared a recipe with me recently that I thought you might enjoy as well! She calls it Steve's Squash Casserole because she found it in her local paper and it was submitted by some guy named Steve. So just for fun, I added yummy and yellow to the name! And as always, I have added a few of my cooking tricks throughout, so make sure you read it all the way through!

Here is a list of everything you need to get going:

2 medium to large yellow squash
Non-stick cooking spray
Large casserole dish
Salt and pepper
1 large onion
12 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed
12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 stick butter, cut into pats

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and coat your casserole dish with cooking spray. Slice the squash into 1/8 inch thick round slices - think hamburger pickle slices!

Dice the onion. I use yellow onion on mostly every dish that calls for onion, but white is fine as well. A good trick for onion dicing and slicing is to light a candle and set it by the cutting board. The onion's scent will tend to flow towards the heat, and this cuts down on onion tears and burning eyes!

Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of squash, and top with a thin layer of onion. Top this combo off with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Next, put a nice layer of cheese, followed by a layer of crushed crackers. Repeat these steps until you have used all of the squash. Mine came out to three layers, but the squash I used was very large! Top the dish off with pats of butter, and pour the evaporated milk over the entire thing. Cover, and bake at least one hour. Squash should be tender, and cheese should be melted. Enjoy! I bet even the kiddos will enjoy this one!