Family Updates

Countertop Makeover: Rustoleum Laminate Coating

This post was done about seven months ago, when hundreds of you had never even heard of Saturday Mornings. This was such a big project that I wanted to bring it back and put it out there for others who may need an inexpensive fix for their kitchen or bathroom counter tops!

We have done a lot of work on our home. In the kitchen we were blessed with custom cabinets that came with the house, and after a frozen pipe burst last winter we replaced the vinyl flooring with porcelain. The kitchen was really starting to come together and to top it off, we bought a new stainless steel convection oven a few months ago. However, there was one big eyesore that we have been longing to get rid of. Baby blue laminate counter tops. Everyone that comes over claims that "they are not that bad and at least they are in good condition." They ARE that bad! I liken it to a nice looking man with an expensive suit on....but he has a mullet. There is no overlooking that. So here they are.

Yep, I told you they were awful! Well, I heard about a product that you could actually "paint" over linoleum with to give it a new color and new look. I really wanted to try it, but I knew if I told my husband I was painting the kitchen counter tops he would think I had lost my marbles! So what did I do, you might ask? I went to Plan B. Plan B was this: wait until he left town one weekend and do it myself! This weekend was opening season so he went home to hunt. I called in backup (Nicolle) and we went to work. There were a few scary things about using this product. First, you literally have to pick your color from a half inch picture on top of a box!

Second, we learned that this stuff was no joke! It is highly flammable and toxic as well. The helpful guys at Lowe's (no I am not getting paid for this, I love Lowe's and if you work at Lowe's and would like to pay me to mention your little company I would probably consider your offer) suggested that we turn off all gas and pilot lights in the house, and instructed us to take breaks while applying to get fresh air. We were told that if we become lightheaded, nauseous, or vomit, we should at least stop, and possibly go to the hospital. So, big nod to Nicolle for sticking in there after all of this! We taped off the area, got our supplies ready, and started laying it on the linoleum.

The odor is very strong, and during the second coat I started feeling funny, realizing I had not been outside in a while. Fresh air did the trick, and now I have a whole new look! This stuff made my kitchen look like a different person, and I cannot wait for the husband to get home and see it for himself!

Countertop Treatment: $20
Paintbrushes/Rollers: $22
Painter's Tape: $9

Total Cost: $51
Replacing the Counter Tops: $500 to $2500