Family Updates

A Fresh Start

Several years ago I planned a fabulous "Eve before the Eve" wedding in Washington, DC. I loved the entire experience. The bride, the family and the starry night theme. The event was loaded with crystals and stars and thousands of all white flowers. At the end of the evening, crystals were literally everywhere.

I took home a box of them and the next day on New Years Eve, I woke up reeling from this successful gorgeous moment and felt a sense of accomplishment, as well as a bit of sadness that it was over.

I went to the local floral shop and bought some white flowers and made some simple arrangements with the crystals. Five years later this has become a tradition that I unintentionally created. New Years Eve- I always take down the decorations- clean the house- iron and starch the sheets, and then treat myself... to fresh all white flowers. I use the SAME crystals from the wedding too.

This year I made an indoor bulb garden using silver bowls, French Bistro Glasses and a glass apothecary jar and yes... the crystals. The crystals work the same as rocks and allow water to seep through and support the roots at the same time. I love this look and the fresh feeling and life that it brings to any room.

To make one yourself is SUPER EASY... go to a garden or craft store or even your kitchen cupboard- use fun glass containers, drinking glasses, bowls, etc. Buy some crystals, or rocks, fill with water and add your bulbs! Paperwhites and Amaryllis work best!

Hope this inspires you to bring a little "hotel living" to your space- bulbs are about a dollar each- ironing your sheets 30 minutes- a fresh house to start the new year... perfection.

Happy New Year to YOU ALL, and Happy 5th Anniversary to Maurian and Brad one of my favorite couples ever! May we all have a year inspired by things we love, surrounded by people we love and use them all to support each other in our goals, as well as challenges so that we may all live a more peaceful fulfilling life.

Cheers!...Here's to Fresh Starts.


The Mayflower Hotel
Washington DC
12-30-05
Photograph by Justine Ungaro
www.justineungaro.com