Family Updates

Speech Therapy

Over the last couple weeks we have been getting Ryan evaluated for Speech Therapy and it seems like it has taken forever. We have already been to three meetings that have lasted about an hour and finally have our teachers meeting on Friday. Then we will discuss what programs he will need to go into and how many times a week.

We are super excited about getting him into this in hopes that it will help us communicate with him better. Right now he won't put full sentences together. He will say "need help", "need milk", "go play", and things like that but no more then two or three words at a time.

So since we started this we have been making him say full sentences before we will do anything for him or just when we are talking to him. We have been really working on his "Can I have (whatever it is) please?" for about two weeks now.

Yesterday while I was sitting on the couch he came up to me and said "need milk please". So instead of saying the sentence for him I said "What do you say?" He looked at me funny for a couple seconds and I said "Can?...." and then he smiled and said "Can I have some milk please?"

I was so excited. I jump up and hugged him and told him how proud I was of him. This is a huge step because he isn't even in speech therapy yet and this shows what we are doing at home is working. It's so exciting to see progress and to see what you have been working so hard at actually work.

When daddy got up (still has the bad ear infection) I told him and he grabbed Ryan to tell him how happy he was.

I know that Ryan understands more than what he lets on. But I hate that he can't express himself the way he or we want him to. Like when I pick him up from school I ask him what he did that day but he doesn't tell me because he doesn't know how to.

But this makes me so happy because I feel like it's a big start. It makes me hopeful that once he is in speech therapy it will become even easier to communicate with him and we will be able to really talk to him.

I want to know what he did during the day, what he wants to go do when we are at home on the weekends, and how he is feeling. I want him to be able to tell me that his tummy is upset or that he is scared to sleep in his room by himself.

Being a parent can be so hard sometimes. But it's times like this when the little simple things in life can mean so much.