Family Updates

Completely Puzzled

I have endless ideas when creating things for myself and my home, and if it turns out bad, I am not really disappointing anyone. However, Christmas gifts this year have been a struggle. If I give a gift that I put a lot of time and heart into, my expectations for that project often become too high. I have to keep in mind that people appreciate unique and heartfelt gifts. For the next two weeks, many of the posts will feature gifts I am giving this year and how you can do the same!

My nieces are three and four, and are getting into games, cards, puzzles, and other hands on activities. I picked up an unfinished wooden puzzle and thought how fun it would be of they had a puzzle of themselves! Here is the blank puzzle, and I think even a simple puzzle that is already painted would work, as well, since you are completely covering the surface. However, this one was on sale for a dollar! What a deal!

Print a photo of choice on plain printer paper, slightly larger than the size of the puzzle. Adhere the picture to the entire surface using a thin coat of Mod Podge, trim the edges, and allow to dry.

As you can see above, I already began cutting the pieces out with an Exacto knife. It is the most tedious part of the project because you have to be careful that the photo does not rip and comes apart easily. If it does tear slightly, attach the torn piece back on with the Mod Podge, it will be almost undetectable. Cut until the pieces are done and detached from the frame.

Finally, put two coats of Mod Podge on each piece. Allow to dry, and you have a sturdy, wooden personalized puzzle that the kids will love! You could even put a message underneath to remind them who gave it to them!

Puzzle: $1.00
Everything else: on hand

Total Cost: $1.00
Photo Puzzle Gifts Online: $23.00