Family Updates

Keeping the calm before the storm

Today is the calm before the storm... the quiet before the holiday rush that starts on Thanksgiving {in my mind... } and doesn't end until New Years Day.

This year I'm trying to keep the calm before the storm a constant. There will be no storm this year.

And if there is, it will not be a storm of epic proportions. Just because I say so :)

Anyway. In order to do that I've decided that practicing gratitude needs to be the most important part of the season. It's not a new concept, but it's one that is easily preach-able and then forgotten. I can't tell you how many times I say "I'm so thankful... " and then not spend time thinking about what it is that I'm thankful for.

Being the day before Thanksgiving, it's a perfect time to dive in and give thanks... .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thankful for a two year old who is unaffected by a bad nights sleep

And a four year old who understands that if he wakes up very very early, he can play quietly in his bedroom while his mother sleeps in his bed... .

I'm thankful for the choice of sobriety for nearly ten months

I'm thankful for a warm cup of chai in a snowman cup, amid a seashell and magnifying glass and little doll and tongs filled and scratched up table

Nov 24, 2010 001

I'm thankful to know that miles away from here my parents will be enjoying a turkey dinner with all the fixings. A favorite holiday for my mother will not go unturkified ;)

I'm thankful for a husband who looks into my eyes and tells me he'll always love me, and a marriage that is based off of supporting and loving each other through trials and understanding what is important to each other

I'm thankful for a new Curious George movie on PBS {and that would definitely go on the list of thanks from my kids... }

I'm thankful for friends who act like therapists, therapists who act like friends, and support coming out of my ears during the past week {and last 10 months for that matter!} it has not gone unnoticed, and you all know who you are... I'm forever grateful for long talks, emails, short talks, comments here, letters, cards... I am so, so, thankful for you.

I'm thankful to be wearing a new shirt {from Jen Lee's shop... } that serves as a reminder and an inspiration

Nov 24, 2010 012

I'm thankful for little pieces of grace that come my way, for a devotional that spoon feeds me passages of the Bible. I'm thankful for a hunger to cultivate my spirituality

Speaking of the George movie, there was just a quote in a song that jumped out from the TV at me just now: "Everything is fine, just taking one step at a time to find our way to the heart of the day... " I'm thankful and teary over that... Thank you George...

I'm thankful for pajama feet, little arms around my neck, nose kisses and "wait, I forgot to tell you something! Bye I love you so much! Bye I love you so much! Bye I love you so much!" as a parent walks out the door

I'm thankful to be given a chance to be a mother, a wife, a sober woman who is in love with her life... and to have a pretty darn good life, even with all the ups and downs. It is so very full.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Thanksgiving, all! I hope you have a wonderful day that fills the belly and the soul :)