Family Updates

One on One
Nov 20, 2010 017

This morning Paige and I went on a shopping trip. We cruised the aisles of The Christmas Tree Shop {don't you just love a bargain... } and stocked up on gift bags, tissue paper, and mugs covered with snowmen and Santa. It felt like a right of passage, this trip. Mother and daughter and the musty smell of the store... it never changes. My mom and I like to go there when she's visiting. We never buy much, but we look at everything and chat as the hodge podge displays and various items bring back memories of things we wanted to talk about, but always forget.

I tried to hold out for my mom's next visit to do my errand... but I couldn't wait. And I knew that as the holidays get closer, the store will get crazier, and it won't be nearly as fun as spending an evening there mid summer. So Paige and I went, and she got bombarded with little old ladies who asked her if she was ready for Santa {seriously... it's not even Thanksgiving... .} and we pointed at jingle bells and ooh'ed and aah'ed at turkey and pilgrim decorations and she reminded me that we needed q-tips {yes, they have a health and beauty section now!} and we decided it was unwise to touch every single item...

This afternoon brought a solo trip to the beach with Fynn. Our first warm hat trip to the ocean. We froze our hands off, and warmed up after with hot cocoa and some sort of a white chocolate peppermint latte... We climbed the big rocks that we don't normally climb when Paige is with us because I can't stand behind two kids going separate directions up slippery rocks. That in itself was enough to make him happy.

The full attention thing... it makes a difference. I'm always amazed at how calm outings are with just one kid, and how much more they talk. Or maybe it's just how much more I can hear. I know it never seemed calm when it was just me and Fynn... but after chasing two around grocery stores and in and out of ocean waters and being at opposite ends of the playground and back and forth... I'll take these quiet outings with them any day. And I'll stand in wonder and amazement at anyone who has more than two children.

Our outings weren't planned. Lucas is sick, so while Paige and I were out he and Fynn built a quiet fort and watched a movie. While Fynn and I were out Paige and Lucas took a nap. It's amazing to me how the universe schedules things for us. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to listen to the last minute change of plans...

Nov 20, 2010 029