Family Updates

Cork Over-Board

There is a project I have been wanting to do for months, but I had one small problem... it takes a few supplies that require, well, let's just say, your cup to flow over. Years ago I started collecting corks from various bottles of wine or champagne, knowing that I would one day create something spectacular with them. But once I felt that my collection was complete, I realized that it was going to be another decade before I could attend enough gatherings and "sneak" away with enough corks to complete this feat. So I put a plea up on a website I frequent, called Swap Bot, asking for any and all spare corks. People really came through for me. I received piles of them through the mail!

I grabbed some jute...

The shell of a wooden frame, after painting it brown...

And foam board cut to fit...

To dress up the frame a bit, I wrapped it in jute.

I used the foam board for backing to the frame, and started to glue, and glue, and glue...

All corks are not the same size or shape, so it takes a while to get a good fit! But when the work is done, the outcome is lovely for a kitchen, dining room, anywhere you can think of! I added some embellishment brads and plan to use it as art, but it can function as a new twist on a bulletin board, or if you want to make several small ones, use them to set hot pans on! Endless possibilities! You can buy these online, but making your own is even better, and more affordable!

Frame: $3.00
Foam Board: $0.40
Jute: $0.60
Embellishment Brads: $1.00
Corks: collected, donated

Total Cost: $5.00
Cost Online for Fully Constructed Wine Cork Board: $40.00