Family Updates

The Gift of Friendship

As many of you know my husband travels --- ALOT! My friends at home in DC/MD area and here in Chicago have been so so amazing and supportive of me. I just want to take minute to share with you how much I love my girlfriends for taking such good care of me all the time and especially when my husband is away.

I have received emails offering to fly out here when he is away to spend time with me so I am not alone, people have had us over for dinner when we are alone, girlfriends have come over and helped me pack and wrap for Christmas, even removed my car seat and set up my travel stroller while I did other things. One even shipped out some boxes of gifts that I did not have time to get to Fed Ex before I left for 3 weeks over Christmas.

I am always amazed at what the gift of friendship can do for your spirit- a phone call, a surprise note in the mailbox, an offer to really be there, include you, large or small- and on the other side of the coin we all know how down or off we feel if we think something is not right in a relationship too and once we have made it right the world looks so much better.

Tonight I received a call from a girlfriend who lives nearby- she was on her way out to dinner around the corner- she called and said I am on your street, meet me at your front door. There she was with a shopping bag- " I made home made cookies today and wanted you to have some" she said. She also said and I brought you ALL of this months magazines that I have already read to see if I could save you a few bucks and laughed. ( because all of you girls know I love my mags).

Thinking of someone- sharing with someone and KNOWING someone- that is so priceless.

To top it off and enjoy my cookies- my dear dear friend Liz from DC called tonight on her way home from work, and offered to call me after Jack went to bed so that we could have a proper catch up- I lit my fire, had a cup of tea and my cookies and we caught up on the phone for an hour. What a treat to talk to her for so long. We cant meet for dinner or drinks anymore since I moved like we used to. Tonight we had some laughs, talked about goals, changes, life, marriage, not settling, all kinds of wonderful things. She is so fun and caring and our conversations are so genuine and real. I feel like I accomplish something everytime I talk to her.

When we got off the phone this evening, she said I am going to bed and you need to go and write something for me to read tomorrow on that blog of yours.

Liz- thanks for reading the blog daily and emailing me separately your comments :-) I love that as busy as you are you always make the time, and stay in touch. You are a gem.

May we all take some time this year to show our girlfriends that we value them, know them and take a minute to do even the littlest of things for them-

A million thanks to my Amazing Girlfriends near and far- I could not, would not be the person I am without you.