Family Updates

Sunday Roasts: A Great English Tradition

When I was in London in October- I came home with all of these "epiphanies" I get every time I travel.... I will do this better, more, less, differently.... etc. One of the things I love about the Brits is thier easy, classic way of entertaining. Its like no frills meets high end - with the quality going towards the company, relaxation, conversation rather than the stress of pulling off a dinner party.

Sunday Roasts are the weekly norm in my husbands family and I vowed once the holidays were past us that would be a great way to see friends and include the little ones with little effort.

The NFL play-offs offered the perfect opportunity to merge a multitude of goals- a way to entertain the babies, husbands' and get a chance to see girlfriends and try a new recipe!

I had my 2 best girlfriends in Chicago over with their husbands and babies for the second game. Husbands happily watched game (and babies!) in den/ playroom with nice fire and girls chatted and cooked together in kitchen. It was a great way to give everyone a nice Sunday afternoon and the great thing about Sunday Roasts is that they are a great late afternoon early evening meal. So you can use them to socialize and not worry about bedtimes for little ones.

We made This Beef Stout Roast over Egg Noodles from this months Martha Stewart Living. And a great winter salad of mixed greens, and roasted cherry tomatoes and parmigan reggiano- sweets from Sensational Bites were cut up and put out which we all divied "to go" and it was a great afternoon where everyone in the family got a "play date"

We will for sure be having many more Sunday Roasts this winter in Chicago.