Family Updates

ITs Reveal Day!!! My "New" Kitchen.....Before and After!!!!!

So finally I am ready and excited to share my kitchen makeover with all of you. Long time H&H readers know that I live in a 126 year old home in the city of Chicago. We bought a solid home with great "bones" heat, lighting, roof, plumbing, etc but that needed to be brought up to date aesthetically. This thrilled me as I would rather update decor than miserable things like plumbing.

My kitchen is small- it is about 11 x 11 and 2 walls are appliances and one is exterior to the garden with a door and window- the other opens out to small hallway to DR/LR/ and staircase and main floor bath.

I have limited counter space and love to cook. My main goal was to add dining space and prep space as well while opening up the room. I also wanted to brighten up the room, use my favorite colors and make it a cozy and bright on the coldest winter days- ( like today)
a
Here are my BEFORE shots............I dont think I even need to describe- but there are old wood floors in there but not the restored original like the rest of the house- so I did not mind changing them- which I did... and the cabinets and appliances were faux wood-

And AFTER!!!

The little jars on the shelf are filled with my favorite loose teas to create a "tea bar". I've always loved tea and I wanted to make that part of my kitchen and a fun treat for when I have girlfriends over.

The tote bag on the floor is from Blue Heron Bags in Annapolis, MD (one of Kerry at More, More, More's favorite places to shop-thanks so much Kerry. Now I love them too). I had the bag embroidered with our family's last name to use this summer at the beach and farmer's market which are both in our neighborhood.

I love my painted floor, however, I had to have it redone and it was quite a bit of work. Sherwin Williams helped me figure out the secret to getting a high gloss finish that sweeps and cleans easily. If anyone wants more information on painting floors, please let me know.

My lighting fixture and table both add a rustic French Country feel to the room and keep the house consistent with it's age. The chandelier is from my former home in Virginia and the farmhouse table was created out of old salvage barnwood and stained with a warm yellow honey glaze to match the warm yellow colors of the kitchen. This table was made custom by Dave at Cottage Home Maine (www.cottagehomemaine.com).

Lastly I'm sorry that the appropriate links to blogs and websites referenced above were not included. My computer has yet crashed again and I did this post from my i Phone and will be back Monday.

I'm looking forward to season premiere of Lost tonight and making a batch of chocolate chip cookies from the Kennedy Family Cookbook I mentioned earlier last summer. We have eight inches of snow expected today in Chicago. Hope everyone has a cozy day today and weekend.

AD