Family Updates

Fun Holiday Stuff! Wrapping, Cozy Dinner, and Great Drink Recipe

I have loads of left over Wrapping Paper from the past two years and once again have gone paper crazy at Container Store
I found my "old" stash while getting out holiday decor. I have so many people I keep saying lets do something before the holidays that I have almost run out of days to even make these plans. So, decided to get a few girlfriends together to wrap and watch Love Actually and make a warm and cozy dinner. I think it would be fun to have each person bring as roll or 2 and some ribbon and then you can mix up your gifts and make them pretty without all of the expense!

When I was in London= Bev made us a great family dinner and it smelled amazing all through the house and tasted so delicious- so I asked her for the recipe and it turns out it was super easy-

So here is what I am going to make for the girls and what you might want to try for a warm supper on a busy night-

Bev's "Coq Au Vin"- You need: Chicken Breast, Tarragon, Carrots, White Onion, Mushrooms, Red Skin or Yukon Golds, Chicken Stock, Red Wine and Garlic, Corn Starch.

Sprinkle Chicken Breasts with Tarragon, Salt, Pepper on both sides and then sear ( but not cook through) and remove from skillet- then add some butter or olive oil and your onion, carrot to pan and saute a bit- place chicken back on top and add 3/4 cup of chicken stock to skillet and a cup of red wine- place lid on to simmer-

Then toss your taters in boiling water and let them start to soften- when they do, drain and toss them into the skillet as well-
You will want the skillet to simmer about 30 minutes- about 15 minutes in, take a ladel and spoon out a ladel full of sauce, put in a bowl and whisk in a TBS of corn starch and then pour back into the skillet with Mushrooms, and your softer vegetables such as the mushrooms- Ready in 30 minutes- great with a nice crisp winter salad of Manchego, Green Apple and Walnuts for a little contrast to the heartiness to the stew.

Saving the best for last... I made this drink for Jacks Birthday Party and it was a huge hit- I got the recipe from the Lilly Holidays Cookbook under Halloween Party- the thing I love most about it is you add dark rum to spike it but it is made without the alcohol- so if you are entertaining- those who choose not to drink, or only have one ( or two) can enjoy the "signature/ special" drink at their own descretion- I added rum to mine the other evening while doing some holiday stuff and a cap full or 2 is about a half a shot and flavors it so nicely and gives you a little warm toddy without being too strong.

I think I will make this for the girls too-

Hot Cranberry - Apple Punch

1 1/2 quarts apple juice
1 1/2 quarts cranberry juice
( I just bought 2 of each and dumped them into a soup pot)

Four Cinnamon Sticks
2 Teaspoons Whole Allspice
1 Teaspoon Cloves
4 Star Anise- ( spice section of Whole Foods, or larger grocery stores)
10 lady apples- ( to float along with star anise in punch bowl)- I used a great pottery salad bowl and flaoted the star anise and apples in that and kept "back up " simmering on stove-
Dark Rum- I used Meyers-

So in the recipe you make a sachet out of the spices in cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string- simmer and then add apple garnish and serve rum optional.

I just dumped it all in the pot because I forgot what I was doing and company was due in an hour- :-) It still turned out so amazing! I saved the leftovers and have simmered it this week to enjoy in the afternoons instead of tea.

It also makes your home smell lovely- I had a wonderful friend who always simmered cinnamon and spices on her stove- we always looked forward to that time of year- It reminds me of her and fond memories of good times at home.

If you dont have the Lilly Cookbooks- they are both fantastic and I use both often- I love that they are designed by season, or theme- it makes menu planning and entertaining easy.