Family Updates

Lessons on self

Every day that passes, I learn something new about myself.

Some are shocking, like the fact that I can still do cartwheels and handstands with relative ease on the beach {take that... body of a nearly 30 year old!}

Some are not so shocking, like how much I'm looking forward to Autumn.

But they're all gifts. Especially when you're aware of your surroundings and yourself enough to see them for what they are, even the not so pleasantness.

Like how sometimes I get caught up in what others are doing. And why their gifts of grace are not my gifts of grace. And sometimes I get frustrated. Like when it seems every time I go into the bathroom there's no toilet paper. And I stomp my feet and curse the child who uses so much toilet paper when really thank goodness we can afford so much toilet paper, and thank goodness she's able to use the potty herself, and thank goodness we have a working toilet.

Right?

Yesterday I was reminded that I'm the kind of mom who lets their kids run wild in wooded streams. Who helps to make fairy houses, and smiles at the thought of Pooh sticks.

shot_1312383231847

And I also learned that I can be kind to myself, and that an evening of winding 14 balls of yarn for a sweater for me and a sweater for Paige, while watching You've Got Mail, can be one of the nicest evenings ever.

shot_1312383698004

I also learned this week that my children are more brilliant than I thought, that Fynn is learning so much on his own - through nature and just being a child - that I'm questioning how we will go about our children's educations.

shot_1312383809352

This is all scattered, as we're all still feeling the after effects of a week and a half long cold... I still can't hear properly. My mind is still fuzzy. But this week I've been reminded that I being in nature. I like being at home. I like being with my kids. I like creating with my kids.

I like my kids.

And my husband.

shot_1312383816498

I guess this week I've been reminded that I like my life. A lot. And this self of mine? I'm finding out that with each day and these new things that I learn about myself, I kind of like myself too.

Especially the cartwheeling on the beach, barefoot in the creek, teaching how to add and subtract with shells and sticks, too busy chatting about life with a good friend to make anything more than pancakes for dinner kind of me.

Go do a cartwheel.

Seriously.

Your spirit will thank you :)