Family Updates

Warm Weather Knitting

I didn't expect to knit so much during the summer.

Or rather, I didn't expect to knit summer knits during the summer.

Meaning, I didn't realize that there were things I could wear/knit/enjoy during the heat.

Not only are the Market Totes, Mermaid Necklaces, and custom orders keeping me busy, but I'm finding countless things to work on for the now {not to mention the colder months... }

Like this sweet Celine Beret...

June 9, 2011 025

The pattern had me on my knees at one point... I'm not sure I'll make another one of these.

June 9, 2011 022

But I love it. There are countless mistakes made, and it took five tries to get the first twenty rows right, but it's just for me, and it honestly shows perseverance and patience and growth in my knitting. I'm not sure I would have stuck with a pattern through so many tries, even just a few months ago. But this knitting, I'm learning as I go, and I'm enjoying it for the most part. And each piece I create, I find things out about myself and the depth of my soul. All through knitting. All through movements of my hands. All through knitting and purling and slip slip knitting.

June 9, 2011 017

Right now I have three summer knits on my needles: a custom order Market Tote, a summer scarf made with hand spun merino wool, and this...

Image by Carrie Bostick Hoge

for me... made with a pale blue soft linen gifted by a sweet friend.

Knitting isn't for just cold weather. It's not just for snuggling under when you need to be held. It's beginning to be as essential to my day as prayer and breath and a little bit of quiet. Maybe because it combines all of those together. Plus the end results are often stunning... which helps!