Family Updates

On parenting...

This morning we had an appointment to go to, and errands to run. I will honestly say that I was dreading it, because recently we've been drenched with the beloved sassy attitude that comes with four year old boys and two year old girls.

Going out with them has not been all that fun recently.

But as we sat in an office this morning, they were excellent. They were pleasant, talkative, kind to each other.

I breathed ten kinds of sighs of relief.

And then I remembered that yes, in fact, I do have good kids. Sometimes it's hard to remember when you feel like all you do is say no and don't and stop. But they're good kids.

I read a parenting book last week that I didn't finish. I have never rolled my eyes so much at one book {except for one sleep training book that will remain nameless... }

For quite a while I've been questioning our parenting skills. Mostly mine. Because the kids... oy... we have our days... and then I remember all the change that has happened in the last year or so. The changes in me, the changes in them, the changes in home and location and friends and life, and and and... and it's a lot. Life is a lot. And sometimes it catches up with us and we don't know whether we're going or coming, at two, or four, or twenty nine and thirty six.

But reading that book brought me back to what I believe in as a parent. I might have forgotten that in the midst of trying to control my kids behaviors. You can't control your kids behavior. You can only guide them, teach wrong from right, set boundaries and show that there are consequences in life. And give them love. Lots of it. That is what I believe in as a parent.

And today I'm holding my head a little higher. Breathing a little easier. Loving on my kids a little more. Because they're a part of me. And I love them like nothing else in this world. And they deserve as much grace as I've been given.

We all deserve it.

today

{headband is from TrishyBear, local to me, earrings from Posh Patina - who is fabulous, fast, and super inexpensive!}

{I purchased items myself... and just wanted to share some Etsy love... }

{and the picture doesn't really pertain to the post, but I like it. And it's me smiling, which is what I want my kids to see more of :)}