Family Updates

Your Presence IS your Present


via

In December I posted that Jack was having his 4th birthday - A Pirate Party with all of his Chicago Crew.
I never posted much after this party that month and as adorable as it was I never even felt inclined to post all of the cute clever little highlights. The reason why? Too Much Treasure.

We had 28 children to the party. This may seem excessive, but I hate to be left out and did not want to do it to anyone especially at the age of 4. This brought a household of more than 30 presents just a few weeks before Christmas. I felt completely overwhelmed and honestly it depressed me and made me feel embarrassed. Putting them away- writing the notes- finding them a home, building them- whatever. We simply did not need it. I wanted Jack to have a fun lunch and laughs with his friends. A few games, favors, and a great cake. I did not want Jack to have 30 plus gifts.

I thought maybe it was because it was so close to the holidays- but I found other parents agreeing and relating to this when I shared my feelings with them.

We were invited to a total of 11 birthday parties in January. Some weekends with 3 events. Half of the invitations said "no gifts please". I found myself wishing I had done this.

My absolute favorite was a little girl in Jack's class asked that in lieu of gifts that each family bring a box diapers to donate to a local charity that delivers diapers to families that cannot afford them.

So lovely, simple and thoughtful. It's also a great lesson for kids to start life with - use an event to do something for others.

Parties with a Purpose.

What DO YOU think? Honestly. Is this a way to move forward with a conscious for our next generation, or is this bagging the best thing about birthdays?