Family Updates

Asthma

Yesterday was scary. I woke up about 2 am with Ryan wheezing and running a fever. He had had this problem before when he was sick but over the next several hours it became worse. About 6:30 he woke up and kept saying "mommy mommy" and it was like he couldn't breath.

I panicked and called my mom who lives right down the street. She rushed over and we put him, his Elmo, and comforter in the back of the truck and headed for the doctor. I was thinking about taking him to the ER but when he went back to sleep he was breathing better but still wheezing.

Thankfully the doctor got us right in and she said that he was having bronchitis and it was causing him to also have asthma. They gave him two breathing treatments (which he slept through) and then two meds (which he had no desire to take).

By the time we left all he wanted to do was go back to sleep and cuddle with his Elmo and Grandma in the backseat.

So I got him home and put him back in our bed. Thank God for good insurance at a time like this because they paid for us to have and keep a breathing machine. So every 3-4 hours we were doing breathing treatments but he didn't seem to mind. I think he actually enjoyed them because they make him feel so much better.

This morning he woke up a new boy. He wanted to play with his Lego's, jump on the couch, and chase the dog around the living room. We did a couple treatments today but he will be going back to school tomorrow and having a follow up with the doctor on Saturday.

It's so scary when your baby is sick. Especially when you think they can't breath. My heart was racing when I thought he couldn't catch his breath. I hate hearing him wheezing and not being able to take a deep breath but thank God that he is okay and it's not too serious.

They also gave us a steroid and Amoxicillian but he is so hard to give medicine too because he spits it all out. And both Joe and I have to hold him down and pry his mouth open. I hate having to do that even though I know it is helping him. It just feels like torture.

But life seems like it will get back to normal tomorrow. Ryan seems to be feeling better, I can work on some designs, and the weekend is finally here. Thank God for that!