Family Updates

Anything but Tacky

So, my first project, completed over the weekend, came after two days of trying to find a new, affordable coffee table. No, I did not create one, but I did realize that when the new table is chosen, and the old antique marble topped table exits, a set of nice coasters will be in order. While out and about, I found most coasters to be very overpriced and tacky. I made a pit stop by my local hardware store and picked up five loose ceramic tiles for 28 cents each. The color didn't matter, only the shape. At home, I searched online fabric stores and found patterns that I liked. I used my trusty old printer to print the photo of each fabric, and cut it to slightly smaller than the ceramic tile. Mod Podge on the tile, printed pattern on top, and a layer of Mod Podge to cover the paper and tile and seal it together. I slapped a little brown paint on the edges of the tile to match the color scheme I was after and as soon as that dried, laid a final coat of the Podge on. After I was certain it was completely dry again, I added some felt to the bottom to keep it from scratching any surface it may end up on. I had everything around the house except for the tiles and the felt, and they are anything but tacky! Here are some others I made for friends!

Tiles: $0.76 for four
Prints: Done on home printer...pennies
Felt: $0.10

Total Cost: Four for $1.00
Ceramic Coasters at Home Decor Store: Four for $15.00