Family Updates

Monday Monday

Today's one of those days when I have a bazillion things on my mind, but nothing that is entire post worthy... so here's where my mind is at today:

1. Notice anything fancy on my right hand side bar? A stylish new button perhaps?

I'm now a contributor to All Kinds of Pretty, a new blog created by Sarah of Harry Times All Jacked Up. It's all sorts of fabulous, just so you know. She started it last week, and it has taken off! It's a collaborative effort, and I'm blown away by the creativity each of the contributors possess. Tons of posts, tons of ideas, tons of real moms and real styles created with budget and time constraints. My first post was on Simple Style - check it out.

Plus, now I have an actual reason to take photos of myself... mostly in the mirror... showcasing my messy unclean bathroom and one or two children who make goofy faces:

March 15, 2010 012

(few things to notice in the above photo.. Fynn is holding a pretend cucumber. And on my right hand? The one holding the camera? My ring. Love it so much!)

2. Paige has found a doll that she loves. Loves. Practically since she's been born I've tried to introduce stuffed animals or dolls... she hasn't taken to many of them. Of course I've tried hand made, soft, organic fabrics... and what does she love? The plastic doll baby, that's a tad on the creepy side in the face. But she loves it. She takes care of it. Yesterday she had her first tea party. This picture melts my heart - apparently Baby (as the doll is now known as... ) is teething as well, and needs a dose of Motrin:

March 5, 2010 003

3. I keep this journal and bunch of pens in my kitchen, on the counter by the knives and stove... hmm... but in any case - it's my gratitude journal. I'd been hearing about them - forever - and finally after reading Sarah from Life at 45 Degrees post about her gratitude journal and how she writes five things she's thankful for ever day, I figured I could do it too.

March 13, 2010 001

So I've kept it up for a while. It's something I look forward to every day. I have to be honest, almost always one thing that I list has something to do with the kids, another has something to do with my husband, and I always list "staying sober."

It's a huge thing for me right now, especially. Because the past few days I've been angry about being sober. Angry that I can't pick up a glass, have a social drink, enjoy the buzz that comes with dinner parties and the ability to settle calmly into myself with that little help. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that. And at one point over the weekend I was angry that I had made it so public, this whole alcoholism thing. Because you better believe I wanted a drink at our lunch, and it was so difficult not to order one when I could look right at the freaking bar and see the glasses of wine being poured. SO HARD. And I was angry that every single lady that I was at lunch with would have called me out on it (in my mind... and I would hope that they would... especially since none of them were drinking... )

I was being held accountable because of my words. Not just some limit I put on myself, but I took the ability to drink completely away from myself with being so open.

And while at times I'm angry about that, I'm eternally grateful. I don't know that I could do this whole being sober thing without this space.

4. This little one? She's crazy. C-R-A-Z-Y. She climbed every single thing possible at the library today. Several people commented on how strong she was, how creative, how resourceful. You know what that translates to? "You're in a heap of trouble!" I know. But how can you be mad at a little girl who loves to wear her daddy's hats, who is starting to talk more, who is just so darn cute. Yikes.

March 15, 2010 017

5. We're ready to build an arch. I'm over this rain. Over the wind. The car door was slammed into my face as I was getting Fynn out of his carseat earlier today. Not by a person, but by the wind. And it hurt. But it didn't leave a mark, so there's another thing for the gratitude journal ;)

Happy Monday all!