Family Updates

Make New Friends But Keep the Old…

Does anyone else know this song? I learned it in Brownies oh- gee what now- 26 years ago- I still can hear it in my head and singing it with my mom who was my Brownie Troop Leader one year.

So the saying is so true and I have been feeling a loss of connection with so many people lately- I seriously no joke- try to stay in touch with about 120 people- I would like to say regularly... but what is that anymore- a Christmas card? I hate it when I realize a month goes by- or I get a call from a friend and am busy with the baby or running to the next thing and the next after that and "forget" they called until I pick up the phone and its them again.... I am lucky they call back- if it keeps up they wont always.

This is not to say that I have 50 unplayed, unreturned messages- but I think you know what I am saying- a lifetime of college friends, sorority sisters, friends from work at multiple jobs, industry friends, cousins, family, husbands family, all over the world... and now all of these amazing and great new friends and traditions I have started here in Chicago.

So what do to- I feel so overwhelmed-

I decided to make a list of everyone that I really really know I will always be in touch with - easy- and then added to the list those that I want to never loose. The friendships that need to be not just maintained- but continue to grow too- with laughs, and shared experiences and jokes, and pictures, and stories- I cant call somone I used to laugh until I almost wet my pants with and be like hey how are you? same old ? - no!!! thats no fun at all!

So - my list is pretty- colorful- no smelly markers, but close- and there they are....., my family of friends.

Now, my next goal is to do the following with it- I want to know their birthdays and those of their children ( if they have them), and I want their information all updated and in my address book, and then I am going to buy all of those cute cheerful cards that I always want to buy, but dont because I think well I could send a million cards- so why would I just pick up a card? Well thats exactly what I am going to do- every Monday morning- 2-3 people get a card, written by me over the weekend- mailed from me and some with a note, or wish, or just because- even if I write 3 words- its there- pretty, and made them smile- it will be my new Sunday evening "Closing Sidework" while I watch the shows.

I will go through the list 2-3 at a times until I complete it.... and then... I will start over and add names and this will go on and on....

I was once told- way after Brownies- that something is not a commitment until it is in writing-

So here it is- my promise to myself above- I MISS ALL OF MY FRIENDS!