Family Updates

Autumn Supper Club for Preppy Napkin- Southern Style

This is my first of what I hope to be many posts on events & entertaining- my favorite past time and former career. I am working on a new blog caled Preppy Party Planner, that will link off of this one that will be updated regularly, but not daily with reader requests, parties I host myself, tips, trends, ins and outs, etc. I am really excited to use this as a vehicle to keep me in the know, as well as hopefully be able to help inspire someone- the way that all of you inpsire me to do things and have fun.

I was so excited that Preppy Napkin asked me for a few ideas for her upcoming Supper Club! She said she would like to serve Shimp and Grits as the main course and wanted ideas as to what to serve with it! I was intrigued at the Shrimp and Grits because it is unique and fun as well as personally I have been on a huge Southern kick lately in terms of culinary endeavors and think this is a great time of year for good Southern cooking.

Here is the menu that I put together-since you have a heavy starch already with a protein in your main course, I balanced all menus using the season, south and the event to coordinate the menu-

If you have a little hors d'oeuvres as guests arrive I added a little recept before the main course-the links take you directly to the recipe.

Simmer Apple Cider with Cinnamon Sticks on the Stove- it will smell delightful as guests enter- offer chilled or warm or spiked with rum! Offer your wine or beverage selection.

Sip n Sample- Butternut Squash Bisque in Demitasse- ( buy bisque at Whole Foods, garnish with diced apples- use 2-3 flavors of apple- Granny Smith, Gala, Red Delicious- etc)
serve in your tea cups or demicups- its more fun when they dont match and offer a little sippet on a tray pour hot as guests arrive and set out. ( Pre- set cups and pour in from hot liquid measure and spinkle apple on top)

Mini Cheddar Biscuits with Virginia Ham- Olde Cape Cod Honey Mustard and little chopped red onion

Or- if thats too filling - 2-3 cheeses with fig spread, pecans and rosemary crackers- add sprigs of rosemary coming out of little bud vase to display.

Main Course
Shrimp and Grits! Recipe by Preppy Napkin!

Serve with Cornbread or Popovers.

Fried Green Tomatoes. What a treat! I mean this is one your all time culinary claims to fame right? But how often to you make them?

Jicama and Grapefruit Salad- Perfect to balance the heartiness of the Shrimp and Grits with light seasonal Southern Produce.

Finish it off with a little back to school themed sweet treat "To Go" style in Brown Lunch Bags with Ina Garten's Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars this way those that need to dash- or would like to take dessert home to the little ones-(or their husband)- dont feel bad running out- or skipping the sweets, but feel free to have fun and dig into these goodie bags over coffee and tea!

If you all usually do dessert together too and everyone stays- I would make cherry cobbler- with Vanilla Ice Cream. I have an easy recipe that my nana used to make and can post it of you need one, or go with that.

I hope that you have a great time together no matter what you end up serving and that maybe a few of these ideas work for now or later- I love doing this and again if you want favor, theme, decor, menu, centerpiece, ideas for events large and small I would love to do a post for you.

Happy Supper Club!

Anne