Family Updates

Inspiration

Every year for my birthday I choose a gift for myself to enhance my knowledge, a skill, or continue to grow as a person.

I am loving all of the great posts on so many blogs recently featuring monogrammed gifts and darling aprons, dresses, and home decor. I even noticed the Lilly patterened patchwork stockings in her Holidays book recently and thought hmmm- I bet I could make those....

I have decided to finally answer my calling to learn to sew after all of these years. I loved it in high school and was really into art and design and made a few dresses and a purse. I am tired of wishing I knew how on an almost daily basis and am so excited.

It all started when Mrs P at Chic featured an article from a current Women's Day Special Interest Budget Decorating Issue called what else.. Preppy Chic. The pillows in the article were so creative. One sofa pillow sweater was made from an J. Crew argyle sweater, another pillow had a cross stitched monogram in the middle and 2 layers of fabric surrounding it to go into the pillow. I found the article so inspiring in many ways and wanted to make some things for my house and for gifts for the holidays.

And Snappy Casual Gifts Blog! If you have not been to it- you must! She has great day to day ideas AND adorable products-
She did a post last Sunday on darling little dresses from Grandma's Clothesline. check it out on her blog.

My friend found this adorable place called The Needle Shop .... of course it's in Chicago, but look at her site - it is darling and all of you out there wanting to do the same I am sure there is somewhere near you. And those of you in Chicago there are lots of times and classes for all schedules! Her site is exactly what I have been looking forward to do.

This is an early birthday gift as I am getting started this weekend ad my birthday is not for a while still.. But I cant wait and hope to share some of my projects with all of you- hope this inspires you to sign up for an "after school activity" yourself.

Have a great day everyone and thanks for all of the great posts, and sharing your talents.

Here is the picture from the article from the post on Chic.