Family Updates

Spaghetti and Meatballs for April Fool's Day

Please hear me out. Think about it. If any guy claims they can cook, ask them what their best dish is. I bet that at least 80% of the time, they will tell you they can cook a mean and delicious spaghetti. But let's face it, they boil noodles and dump a jar of sauce on top. This is an ongoing discussion between my husband and I. So he keeps telling me that if I think it is so easy, I should make it from scratch. So, I told him this morning I would make my own version of spaghetti with meatballs for dinner. I vowed that I would not use a jar of Prego or Ragu. I also promised that not only would it be ready and plated when he walked in, but the house would smell scrumptious because of my dish. All of that was true. But he forgot it was April Fool's day!

See that plate of Italian food? It is a bunch of cupcakes! I found this fun recipe at Our Best Bites and I knew I had to try it! They have other fun ideas for cupcakes, like peas and carrots or mashed potatoes! First, either buy unfrosted cupcakes from a bakery, or make some in your favorite flavor. Make sure the color is not too dark, though. When they are nice and cool, you are ready!

I chose strawberry, and I baked them, but there are many options! Next, choose a frosting flavor that is white or off white, and fill a heavy duty Ziploc bag with the frosting. Snip a small piece out of one corner. SMALL.

Sqeeze the frosting through the corner, while moving the cupcake around, to create the noodles. Cover as much of the cupcake top as possible. Do this for each cupcake, and plate close together for the best look. Next, you will want the Ferrero Rocher fine hazelnut chocolates to stand in as meatballs. Microwave a small bowl of strawberry or other berry flavored jam with a small amount of water to dilute, for about 30 seconds.

Dip each chocolate in the mixture, cover well, a set on top of a cupcake. Drizzle the jam over the cupcake to create the look of spaghetti sauce.

Next, grate some white chocolate or almond bark on top to create the look of Parmesan cheese. You now have a plate of spaghetti and meatballs!

APRIL FOOL'S!