Family Updates

Throwback: Rocker Revamp

I wanted to bring back this project I did last summer because it was one of the top posts of the year, and I found a picture recently of myself sitting in the chair as a child!

This is the original post, with the new picture added at the beginning to show my sentimentality!

My mom has given me things that she no longer sees fit for her home, and one of my favorite finds in the loads of things she brought to me was this thirty year old Bentwood rocking chair. It was given to my mom as a baby gift when my brother was born, and if only this chair could talk! It has been through a house fire, two kids, and many moves. Also, after about two weeks in my home, the seating went bust! My poor husband should not have fallen victim to being the one who broke the seat, because he is fit and trim, but this wicker was old. I knew I could take this treasure and make it shine!

We stripped it of the caning, sanded lightly, and made cushions. The cushions were made from 1/2 inch plywood, polyester foam, and fabric. Here is a glimpse at the process...

We painted, made cushion backing from a coordinating fabric, and glued...lots of glue, from liquid nails to fast grab tacky...

The chair, of course, was free. We used polyester foam and semi gloss paint. The fabric, including the backing, was the most costly part, but finally, we had transformed the rocker into a piece fit for our home!

Rocker: FREE!
Paint: $6.00
Poly Foam: $11.00
Fabric: $16.00

Total Cost: $33.00
Upholstered Rocking Chair at Furniture Store: $150.00