Family Updates

Subway Art Knockoff

Although I love our television, flat screen TV stands look best with a nice touch of decor. I have arranged, rearranged, and thrown my hands up in surrender. No matter what I do, there is a spot on the wall next to it that sticks out like a sore thumb. It is screaming, "HEY! Over here! I like Christmas too!" I finally found the perfect thing, but my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when I saw the price tag. So, in Saturday Mornings style, I set out to do it myself! You may have seen the trend lately for "subway art." I was on a mission for a Christmas themed piece, and crossing my fingers that my unsteady hand would be able to pull of a little painting. One place or another almost always has blank canvas on sale... you know, the ones that are already wrapped around a wooden frame? I scored this one for half price, and it was just the size I needed!

Over time, I have acquired a stash of acrylic paint in almost every color, so I chose red and white, along with two sizes of stencils, which is all I had.

Unless you have a large collection of stencils in different sizes and fonts, you will have to do some free hand painting! Scary, huh?! I learned while doing this project that if you write in pencil and then paint over that, it is easier to stick to form. I was more than pleased with the outcome, and can see more of these in my future!

Canvas: $3.50
Paint and stencils: on hand (paint will be about $2 if you buy it)

Total cost: $3.50
Christmas subway art in local home decor boutique: $125.00