Family Updates

Swinging

I like swings.
And so do my kids.

April 6, 2010 003

This morning we woke up to sunshine when I expected rain. So we packed up and ran out the door so we could get in some outside time before the afternoon showers came. We played on the swings, big ones and little ones. We ran and laughed and chased and found a stream and got wet while splashing with sticks and trying to cross bridges made of tree roots {no pictures of that, unfortunately... }

April 6, 2010 008

Fynn helped Paige on the rope bridge, and held onto her tightly as they went down huge curly slides, both squealing with delight. He also tried to tell me that the playground was his and his alone, and there might have been a few moments of if you can't share we have to go home...

April 6, 2010 023

We stayed for two hours. On the way home I realized that today, in fact, was the day of Fynn's spots class.

Ooops.

April 6, 2010 046

The class itself would be fine, except that Fynn isn't a fan of obnoxiously loud music. Neither am I. We've made it to two classes; the first was a disaster, the second was ok since the cd player was broken {why a sports class meets inside to ridiculously loud music with no soccer, hockey, or baseball paraphernalia as described in the brochure I have no idea... } And then last week we were sick, so we skipped it. And this week my brain was focused on being outside, enjoying the fresh air and togetherness. Next week is the last week. I'm not sure we'll go.

April 6, 2010 052

There was another family at the stream behind the park this morning. A mama with three young boys, one in a sling, the other two searching for rocks in the water. She looked up at us as we approached and smiled, laughed when I noted that it would take two minutes for my kids to get soaked {which was accurate} and she said "why not, when we've got nothing but the day to enjoy?"

She was so right.

April 6, 2010 065

As the kids get older I'm finding a lot of me in them. It's inevitable. And it's not a bad thing, but sometimes I see their preferences and dislikes and cringe. But part of all of this is accepting them, and not pushing too hard. Finding that right amount to gently nudge.

By far, our best days are when there's no nudging. It's just being. Just eating up the day in front of us, for what it is. Beautiful and ours.

The trick is remembering...