Family Updates

Sitting on a rainy day
March 18, 2010 030

We sat on another rainy day today. Ran as rain drops sped by us, searching for a puddle. A soft landing. We sat as wayward drops dripped off of eye lashes and onto car seats.

I don't mind the rainy days. But I'm longing for more of last weeks sunshine. Warm temps and toes squishing sand. Giggles and squeals and toddlers tempting waves to come play ashore.

Paige's beach shoes from the weekend were laying in the laundry room this evening, I smiled as I rinsed the sand off and placed them where the air could dry the plastic, slowly. They wanted sunshine, but a fluorescent lit spot by the sink will do.

There were years that I forgot. The power, the calm, the emotions and senses that are evoked.

Now it's home. For me, for my kids. I feel safer at the beach with two children than I do at a playground. The dangers are known, the undertow silently powerful. We nod respectfully and go about our business; our lives moving to the sound of rocks rolling over one another, pulled and pushed by salt water and seaweed.

Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.
~Michelle Held

{and now comes the time where if you hate the beach, you might want to forget about reading this blog for the next... oh... six or seven months ;) I won't hold it against you... }