Family Updates

A quiet time for all

When I was pregnant with Fynn I was blessed with an abundance of advice. From everyone who saw my bulging baby belly. I took most of it in stride, nodding my head, saying thank you. From my just over three years of experience as a parent, I can say the best parenting advice I ever received was this: sleep when your baby sleeps.

I know plenty of people who laugh off that advice, like it's an impossible feat. It's not. When Fynn was a baby we would spend hours doing vertical dance of nursing and napping. Paige often cuddled between me and Fynn when she was a wee one, or was content in a wrap while I swayed with her as I stood next to Fynn's bed and waited for him to fall asleep for naptime. Then the two of us would sneak off to the couch and snuggle together, repeating the nursing and sleeping dance of a few years past.

Here's the thing, I might have taken this a tad bit too far. I still lay down with my kids on the days we're home for naptime. It started a few months ago when I needed the rest thanks to migraines. I'd gather up the kids right after lunch, plunk them in my bed, lay down with one snuggled on each arm, and we'd all drift off. Truthfully Fynn can go without his nap, and had before I started our new nap routine.

Paige is normally the first one to close her eyes. She nuzzles my shoulder, I smell her soft hair as she holds my finger like it's the most precious commodity. Then I turn to Fynn, who is snuggled up to me on my arm. We gaze at each other, he sometimes whispers silly things to me, tells me about the stars and spaceships on the ceiling. We have some quiet alone time, though Paige is inches away.

Even if the kids have been devil children all morning, once we hop into bed they are the snuggliest, warmest, and sweetest little beings on the planet.

I'll take them over a freshly cleaned kitchen any day.

That's the price for these naps. While other mothers get things done during naptime, I sit with my babies. And truthfully I rarely sleep, mostly because the three hour nap has never graced us with its appearance {my children still think sleep is evil... but we won't go there... } and also because Paige will wake up several times needing to be recuddled and loved back to sleep. So the minute Fynn finally closes his eyes, Paige's pop open, and vice versa. So it's a process. But naptime lasts longer with me involved than it would otherwise... which is another bonus.

These naptimes, where my arms are pinned under children, force me to be with myself. To listen to what's going on in my head, to feel things. To ponder. Which is a big part of who I am. Half of my blog posts get written in my head between the hours of 11:30am and 1:30pm {on a good day} Honestly, I cherish that time.

Last weekend we tried to get the kids to nap separately, figuring they each needed some one on one time with one of us. Paige had the hardest time settling into slumber. She was with me, so I thought she wanted her daddy. We switched off but that wasn't it. After many tears she finally fell asleep. After we were all up, she clung to her brother's side for the rest of the afternoon.

She apparently cherishes that time with him as well.

We're a very laid back family. We don't over schedule ourselves, we're secretly home bodies {and have a huge need for a yard to satisfy the need fresh air while we're at home... } and we like to keep things simple. And happy. While the time is nearing an end for them... at this point the whole sleeping while the babies sleep thing... that keeps this mama happy. And her house a little less clean. But none the less, happy.