Family Updates

Our Graceland

The music and lyrics have followed us from days of bottomless glasses of wine

and nights on an ancient porch

And sometimes when I'm falling, flying

Or tumbling in turmoil I say

Oh, so this is what she means

To the chaos that is wedding planning

no matter how small & simple the day

She means we're bouncing into graceland

To quiet evenings stretched out on the couch

enjoying the view of an expanding baby bump, softly humming the same tune

And I see losing love

Is like a window in your heart

The album has seen us through road trips

harsh and soft words, long embraces and too quick goodbyes

Everybody sees you're blown apart

Everybody sees the wind blow

Time passes and it's still bringing us together

thanks to man throwing caution to the wind singing at the top of his lungs

In graceland, in graceland

To no one, then a lovesong, and finally as lullabies

and silly calming mechanisms

I'm going to graceland

And all of a sudden we're all dancing

on a rainy Saturday going about play and chores

For reasons I cannot explain

There's some part of me wants to see

Graceland

It's our soundtrack of the day

and all the memories of how we got here flood my eyes as the kitchen dance continues

And I may be obliged to defend

Every love, every ending

Painful and beautiful, it's our happily ever after

Tears start as giggles take over two wee ones and a daddy in the next room

Or maybe there's no obligations now

Maybe I've a reason to believe

We're here. Happiness is ours.

We've made it to our Graceland.

We all will be received

In graceland

** Lines in italics are lyrics from Paul Simon's Graceland, off of the Graceland album**