Family Updates

Words words words

I love words. My problem is, I get stuck using the same ones over and over. Simple ones, hardly big ones, and then when I hear words I like, I can never remember them later to use them. Does that make sense?

I started and finished The Time Traveler's Wife this week. Well, I thought I was just rereading it before going to see the movie this coming weekend, turns out I never read it. I might have started it... but couldn't get into it at that point in life. Honestly, I think it was one of those my mom gave this to me to read, what was she thinking? phases where I really only wanted to read Bridget Jonesey type stories...

In any case, I read it in a matter of four nights. I loved it. Every single word of it. It was brilliant. Some of the sentences were so well put together I just sat there and reread them because they were beautiful.

Really good thought provoking books that I can somewhat identify with (no, Lucas is not a time traveler, but it was such a sweet love story that I couldn't help gazing longingly at him a few times and think how lucky I am to have someone that I'm so in love with be in the present time) do two things to me. They make me say I could do that - I could write a great story! and they make me say how in the world could I write like that?

Sometimes I think I'd like to write. Really write, like it's my job. Not just the few minutes blogging takes a day. But then, I wonder how I'd come up with the beautiful sentences that I love to read, because I'd want to write what I want to read. I don't know. It could happen, but I think I need to study a dictionary for the next few years...

And seriously, how does one come up with ideas that I can't even wrap my head around? My brain gets so twisted around trying to think of the comings and goings in that story. If you've read it, you know exactly what I mean. My mind keeps running through the words, beautiful words are hard to get past.